IEEE R10 Student Humanitarian Photography contest
The IEEE Region 10 Student Activities Committee, recognizes the significance of humanitarian efforts undertaken by students within our region. This mobile photography contest is dedicated to leveraging technology to address pressing humanitarian issues in our local communities. By harnessing the power of mobile phone photography, we aim to not only motivate engineering students to actively engage in local humanitarian activities and enhance their photography skills but also to provide a platform for wider exposure through R10 social media pages.
The purpose of this contest is to promote humanitarian initiatives among students across IEEE Region 10 by acknowledging and celebrating their remarkable efforts. We aim to share their impactful ideas and showcase the best humanitarian projects on R10 SAC’s social media platforms, while also inspiring and encouraging student branches to grow their membership counts.
Any mobile phone photograph that acknowledges humanitarian work done by students and presents a technology-driven solution will receive strong encouragement. Awards will be presented as the best photograph combining scores by the Judging panel and Most Popular votes.
- The contest is open to all student members and graduate student members of IEEE region10 who have an active membership. IEEE R10 SAC members and their immediate families are not eligible to participate.
- Submission Period: Entries will be accepted from the 1st of October for the contest until the 12th of October. Entries received after the end date will not be considered.
- Entry requirements: Each entrant may submit a photograph that highlights a humanitarian issue/ Solution/ humanitarian technology etc. All photographs must be the original work (Should verify through the online application by Student Branch Counselor, Section Student Activities Chair or Section Chair) of the entrant and must not infringe on the rights of any other party. Entrants must provide a brief caption describing the photograph and the humanitarian issue highlighted, and proof of active IEEE student membership.
- Release of liability: By entering the contest, the entrant releases IEEE and their affiliates from any and all liability in connection with the contest.
- Compliance with laws: The contest is void where prohibited by law. Entrants are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Disputes: Any dispute arising out of or in connection with this contest will be resolved by binding arbitration in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association.
- Social media rules: Entrants must comply with Facebook’s terms of service when entering the contest, including the sharing of posts on the social media platform.
- IEEE R10 SAC reserves the right to cancel or modify the contest, the contest rules, or the prize at any time without notice.
- IEEE R10 SAC reserves the right to verify the eligibility of the participants and the authenticity of the entries before awarding the prize.
- The photograph must NOT contain any offensive content or copyrighted content.
- Likes should be genuine facebook likes and the they should like IEEE R10 SAC facebook page.
- The duly completed endorsed and declared Entry Form (available here) should be submitted via the “SUBMIT NOW” link given at the bottom of this page.
- The submission must be endorsed by the Section Chair OR Section Student Activities Chair OR Student Branch Counsellor OR Head of the Department/School, by signing the endorsement section of the Entry Form.
- Submissions must be in JPEG format.
- File size should not exceed 10 MB.
- Accurately include camera and mobile phone details in the provided submission form.
- A panel of judges will assess the photos for the technical content, innovation, practical implementation of the humanitarian project.
- The judging panel/panels will represent expertise in the technical and humanitarian fields of the submitted photos. Members of the IEEE R10 Student Activities Committee are ineligible to serve as members of the judging panel.
- A member of the judging panel shall not evaluate the photographs from his/her Section or educational institute. Judging panel members shall declare any possible conflicts of interest when evaluating the photographs.
- The decision by the judging panel, as accepted by the R10 Director, will be the final decision and no appeal against the decision will be entertained.
The winner of the contest will be determined through a combined judging process.
Popularity Marks (50% of Marks): Popularity Marks will be selected based on the number of genuine reactions and engagement their photographs receive on R10 SAC’s Facebook page. To qualify as one like, individuals must like both the contest post and the IEEE R10 SAC Facebook page.
Expert Panel Marks (50% of Marks): A panel of judges, selected by IEEE R10 SAC, will evaluate entries based on the quality of the humanitarian project, creativity, originality, overall appeal of the photograph, and how effectively it highlights the humanitarian issue.
Final Winner: The overall winner of the contest will be determined by the combined Marks of both the Popularity and Expert Panel Marks.
A total of THREE WINNERS will be chose. The winner will be awarded the following prize:
- First place -USD 300 cash price
- Second Place – USD 200 cash price
- Third Place – USD 100 cash prize
- An e-certificate for all the winners
The IEEE R10 Students Activities Coordinator will notify the result, and winners, by email to the R10 Sections, on the R10 Website and R10 Newsletter. A record of winners is kept in R10 archives.
- Call for Submissions: October 01, 2023
- Submission Deadline: October 12, 2023
- Processing Period: October 12 to 14, 2023
- Assessment Period: October 14 to October 21, 2023
- Finalizing of Results: October 21 to October 24, 2023
- Winners Notification: October 29, 2023
Region 10 SAC will launch the contest by announcing it on online media and sending an email notification to all SB, SB Chapters, and Affinity Groups. R10 cannot guarantee that the email notification will reach every Student Branch in the region. It is, therefore, Section Chairs’ responsibility to make certain that the information about the contest reaches all Student Branches and universities within their geographical boundaries.
Information & Enquiries
- A full information package about the contest will be made available through online media such as the R10 SAC’s website and social media.
- Information about the contest will be published in the R10 newsletter if its publication date matches the contest schedule.
- Points of Contact for further information and enquiries: R10 Student Activities Committee (email@example.com)
IEEE Region 10 SAC Humanitarian Photography Contest 2023
|Heshan Kalpitha Alwis Jayasinghe
IEEE Sri Lanka Section
IEEE Kerala Section
|Muhammad Abubakar Siddique
IEEE Lahore Section